Energy City Project (Municipal Energy Efficiency Project, Municipal DRR Project)
Short description of the overall project
The MEEMP will support 4 selected municipalities in the implementation of national requirements in the energy and climate sector at municipal level by introducing the European Energy Award (EEA) system to Serbia.
The overall objective of this project is to implement a more sustainable energy management at municipal level, through the introduction of the European Energy Award and improved energy efficiency of public buildings (mostly schools) in Kruševac, Paraæin, Užice and Vrbas. In the case of two cities, investment measures in disaster risk reduction will increase the resilience about floods. Capacity building will support the implementation of the identified infrastructure priority interventions and ensure the sustainability of the project.
Short description of activities financed by the donation
The project foresees a series of trainings, which will raise awareness, expertise and capabilities of the local teams, responsible for the implementation of the project.
Expected outcomes include:
- Better organisation of Municipalities’ energy management systems
- Raised awareness about the European Energy Award in Serbia
- Reduction of greenhouse gas emissions
- Increased share of renewable resources (biomass, heat pumps, waste) and reduction of fossil energy consumption (coal, fuel oil, natural gas)
- Enlarged discharge capacity of Paraæin’s river
- Increased lead time for evacuations in case of floods in Užice
- Improved maintenance and operation of public buildings.
The projects expected results are:
- Initial Energy Review with EEA tool carried out
- National assessment guidance and EEA online tool drafted and translated
- Training for Serbian EEA consultants carried out
- 26 public buildings rehabilitated in terms of energy efficiency
- Improvement of operational and maintenance procedures
- Paraæin bridges rehabilitated and lifted
Installation of rain and river gauges for the functioning of EWS in Užice.