Capacity Building for large Gas Infrastructure Developments in Albania
Short description of the overall project
The project is expected to impact on three levels:
- Albania's current domestic energy production is substantially relying on climate change vulnerable hydro power. Volatility of its production is at the heart of the fragile energy supply. Gas, as a new energy source, will contribute to an increased energy security in the country.
- The project will built gas-related technical and managerial capacities within the Albanian institutions that are necessary for the development of the Albanian gas sector. The built competences will lead to a more stable investment framework fostering economic development in Albania.
- Domestic gas production gives Albania the opportunity to reduce its fossil-based imports from surrounding countries and in consequence reduce the greenhouse gas emissions deriving from energy production.
The initiation and the development of a domestic gas market in Albania - based on the realization of Trans Adriatic Pipeline (TAP). Improved governance of the infrastructure projects that will be realized in the context of the implementation of TAP and the establishment of the Albanian gas market.
Short description of activities financed by the donation
- Work stream #1 'Sector Strategy and policy': To produce analysis papers on the energy markets and update the energy strategy of the country.
- Work stream #2 'Regulation and Permitting': The Albanian Government will develop the legal framework necessary for the implementation of TAP.
- Work stream #3 'Project Development Interface': Procedures and instruments for the realization of downstream gas infrastructure projects are elaborated.
- Work stream #4 'Institutional building': Organization and Roles of domestic agencies and service providers, such as the Albanian Energy Regulator or the Transmission and Distribution operators are defined.
- Work stream #5 'Coordination and Implementation': The Albanian Government acquired the capacities to coordinate the inter-ministerial tasks related to TAP implementation and gas market development.
- Work stream #6 'Communication and representation: Procedural tools and templates are elaborated and applied.