Kosovo* - IPA Support on implementing the 3rd energy package with focus on energy efficiency and renewables
Short description of the overall project
The project will support the Government of Kosovo on revising the primary and secondary legislation in compliance with the EU acquis on energy efficiency and renewable energy as required by the Energy Community Treaty.
The project will support the planning process as well as financing and monitoring mechanisms on improving energy efficiency and on promoting the use of renewables. Support will be provided on energy data collection through surveys in households, services and transport sectors in order to improve the planning process.
Short description of activities financed by the donation
The project consists of the following components:
1. Legal framework upgrade
- review of the existing legal framework relevant to energy efficiency and renewables and gap analysis report to transpose the Energy Community Treaty requirements namely Directive 2006/32, Directive 2012/27, Directive 2010/30 and Directive 2010/31.
2. Improve the quality of energy data
- surveys on energy consumption in the sector of households, services and transport with 5% sampling in all territory of Kosovo. The survey should apply the methodology in compliance with requirements of the International Energy Agency (IEA) and EUROSTAT.
- assessment of technologies that could be used in different municipalities (heat only or cogeneration) based on renewables, including preliminary financial analysis of implementing heating/ cooling and supply of domestic hot water based on renewable energy sources.
3. Support on energy efficiency and renewables planning and monitoring
- Support in planning process for increasing energy efficiency and the share of renewable energy and on monitoring, evaluation and verification of achievement of targets
- Update of the national renewable energy action plan and on reporting on the implementation of the plan, as required by the Energy Community Secretariat.
- Support on implementing the requirements of the Directive 2009/28 related to establishing the certification scheme for biofuels.
- Involvement of private sector in implementing energy efficiency and renewables and impact on job creation.
- Training on energy efficiency and renewable for central and local government levels: energy efficiency in the buildings, heating/cooling systems, energy efficient lighting, energy efficient transport system, use of renewables in heating/cooling and in power production, and related environmental impact.
4. Financing instruments and energy efficiency fund
- Feasibility study for establishing an energy efficiency fund.
- Drafting the law for establishing the Kosovo the energy efficiency fund (KEEF).
- Assistance required for the design and establishment of the fund, as well as related training and capacity building.